Thursday, November 13, 2008

Gabi Castillo

My parents brought me to the US when I was 2 years old. English became my first language very quickly and elementary school was a breeze. I remember my Dad asking me in Spanish to find the hammer while he was working on a project. I would go to the toolbox and stare at the tools wondering which one was a "martillo." My siblings and I were losing our Spanish language skills fast. My parents moved us back to Costa Rica for a couple of years to make sure we never forgot what a "martillo" was. Elementary school in Spanish was very difficult. I was 10; I didn't understand much that was said to me; I was not doing well in school and I could barely communicate with the teacher. Today I treasure those difficult days because they made me bilingual.

On February 6, 2007 the English Only bill passed third reading in the Metropolitan Council. I left the Courthouse in tears. I am so proud that I speak a second language and that I can serve Nashville residents in our native language. English Only was going to make that a violation. I have deep gratitude for everyone working to defeat this ordinance time and time again. The Nashville I know and love is so much better than this. Witnessing folks from all walks of life coming together to fight English Only reassures me that it is Nashville's moment!

I am so proud that I speak a second language and that I can serve Nashville residents in our native language.

No comments:

Post a Comment