Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Laura Creekmore

I'm concerned about the English-only proposal for many reasons. Here are two big ones:
* I don't see how this will bring any positive change. I fear that instead, it will cost Nashville far more than the $500,000 necessary to hold a special election -- in lawsuits to be defended, in lost tourism, in lost business. It seems quite short-sighted to me.
* More personally, my son is Guatemalan. I am greatly concerned with the racial tensions engendered by this proposal and other anti-immigrant measures now popular in our country. Many of them seem to me to be motivated by thinly veiled racism. I don't presume to identify the motivations of all those behind this measure, but I am concerned by many of the public comments I've heard and read in the media. I want to bring my son up in an inclusive, welcoming society -- not one that turns people away due to their ethnic heritage or their language.

I want to bring my son up in an inclusive, welcoming society

No comments:

Post a Comment